I spend a lot of time in elevators at work. I’m running floor to floor, going to lunch, and of course leaving to go home. To avoid an awkward silence for 20 seconds, I’ve noticed there are a few go-to subjects, and these can work on any elevator across the country.
1. Weather. Try this: “Gosh, it’s so cold outside!” Note: There’s a better ROI when it’s so cold outside.
2. Day of the week. Try, “Hey, we’re a day closer to the weekend.” People like weekends. And this can naturally lead into…
3. “Any big plans for the weekend?” Also, be prepared to answer this very question.
4. If you’re feeling adventurous, try “They should’ve put stairs between the floors.” Using this will add “athletic” to your reputation, whether you ever workout, play sports, or use any stairs ever.
5. Another common topic is where the car is because my work location is above 9 floors of parking. If we don’t park where we always park, we’re lost for another 5 minutes.
Do you ride elevators? If so, what do you talk about? Comment below!