It felt like Christmas morning yesterday as my friend and I met up to kayak starting at the Percy Priest Lake dam, down the Stones River to the Cumberland River, and finishing downtown. It was pretty amazing. With sun-burned arms, sore backs, and sore legs, we stepped on shore and practically kissed the dry land, 8 hours and 21 miles later (tracked through the awesome MapMyRun app)! Here’s where we started and finished (plus a gallery of pictures below)…The highlights:
1. Watching a deer by the river bank. We floated upon it as it was eating, wagging it’s tail, and slowly making it’s way through the woods. Amazing to see it in it’s natural environment, virtually unaffected by any human disturbance.
2. Seeing a couple of bright yellow birds fly over the river.
3. Horses drinking water from the river.
4. 50-year-old women on a pontoon boat twerking as they motored past us. Actually, the visual that’s burned into my mind is a lowlight, but the odd experience is a highlight.
5. Finding a little spillway that looked like a place you’d find in Ireland (in the gallery below).
6. a view of downtown Nashville I’ve never seen before.
Anyone interested in another unforgettable adventure in kayaks, I’m up for it!
-Out of the Wilderness