The Music. The catchy song in this commercial is “This Town Ain’t Big Enough For Both Of Us” by Sparks. It’s nearly 50 years old, released in April, 1974. Here’s the full track. Then scroll down for more info!
Among many covers of the song, “Weird Al” Yankovic performs it on the accordion, and further extends his legendary status.
The Charts. This Sparks song reached its highest chart ranking at #2 in the UK. Another familiar song was topping the Billboard charts in April of 1974. It was Elton John with “Bennie and the Jets.”
Trivia. According to a list from HobbyLark.com, here’s a little trivia from 1974…
- In 1974, a gallon of whole milk cost $1.39, bacon was 99 cents for a one-pound package, and eggs were 58 cents a dozen.
- People magazine began publishing, and Happy Days started an 11-year run on ABC.
- The Miami Dolphins were the Super Bowl champs, the Oakland Athletics won the World Series, and the Philadelphia Flyers clinched the Stanley Cup.
- Popular baby names in 1974 were Michael, Jason, Christopher, David, Jennifer, Amy, Michelle, and Heather.
- Blazing Saddles was the highest grossing film of the year.
Thanks for dropping in…
-Out of the Wilderness